The Small Business Taskforce, of which Enterprise Nation is a member, is asking the next government to back small British businesses.
We are making six recommendations to deliver a more productive economy and fairer society.
T he recommendations don't come with a big price tag attached, but they will mean better value for money, better policy decisions, and better support for small business.
It is small firms that are best placed to build an economy that works for everyone, in all places of the UK. They need the support of the
winning government to achieve this.
In summary, the recommendations are:
1. Provide an environment which champions the role of small businesses
- a. Recognise the positive and powerful role played by SMEs in the UK
- b. Ensure ministerial commitment with appointment of a small business minister
2. Provide a taxation system supportive of all businesses, large and small
- a. Commit to a stable and certain tax system that encourages business
- investment and growth
- b. Ensure that a digital tax system puts the need of businesses first
- c. The tax system is far too complicated and needs radical simplification
3. Provide business support which is collaborative and adds value
- a. Champion public/private partnerships
- in business support
- b. Launch Export Vouchers
- c. Re-instate Spaces for Growth programme
- d. Support the creation of a single site for SMEs
4. Provide a pensions and benefits system that supports when needed
- a. Consider viability of pension enrolment for self-employed
- b. Review impact of Universal Credit on start-up success
5. Provide procurement opportunities which work for all
- a. Change government SME procurement target
- b. Expand remit of the small business commissioner
6. Provide a workforce that’s equipped for enterprise
- a. Expand provision of digital skills and basic skills in numeracy and literacy
- b. Build entrepreneurship into the school curriculum
For more detail on the recommendations download the full Small Business Manifesto below.
The Small Business Taskforce collectively represent over two million small businesses. Together we are working to ensure the UK is the best place to start and grow a business.